The Hellion has been working so hard lately that we decided to take a day and do something fun. So we made Harry Potter wands in preparation for our Harry Potter week that is coming up sometime soon. It was a lot of fun, but more work than I had anticipated. The final products were worth it though. We were joined by a friend of ours and both the boys did a great job on their wands. We each made two, a main wand and a back-up wand.
I bought a bag of colored feathers for them to choose from. Their choices:
- Red- Phoenix feather
- Purple- Hippogryph feather
- Orange- Basilisk scale
- Green- Dragon scale
- Blue- Dragon scale
- Yellow- Unicorn hair
First we chose our cores and the color of construction paper we wanted. I cut some wooden dowels down to a manageable size and we each chose those as well. Then the real fun began.
After choosing our materials we spread Elmer’s glue all over our construction paper, making sure to get the edges.
We then laid our dowels and our feathers on one corner of the construction paper and rolled all three together. Getting the feather to roll was difficult, but it is doable. You just have to have some patience with it. I ended up putting a little extra dab of glue on the closing corner to make sure it stayed down.
Once you have your paper rolled you have to let the glue dry completely. This takes longer than you think. We waited a couple of hours for them to dry. Once they were dry we cut the extra construction paper off each end to make a wand the length we wanted. Ours ranged in size from 10-11 inches. Then we filled in each end of the roll with hot glue. Make sure that the glue fills in the end fully, this ensures the wand is sturdy. We then choose what our end cap would be. I had clear marbles and metallic glass stones to choose from. We hot glued these to the handle end of the wand. Then came the fun part (ok, not really, this part was a pain, but worth it). I used the hot glue gun to thicken one end of the wand and then create designs. You can do pretty much whatever you want at this point. I am not the best at this crafty stuff but all of the wands looked pretty done when we were finished so I must have done ok. The Hellion did help with his wands, but he had a hard time with the glue gun so basically supervised and told me when I was screwing it up! I totally forgot about taking pictures at this stage. Sorry. After the hot glue had dried and set the boys went to town painting their wands. The Hellion and I started with a black base coat. Our friend, we’ll call him Z-rex, decided not to do the black base coat and just started painting the colors he wanted.
The Hellion’s are the two up top, mine are on the bottom in the first picture. Z-rex is working his painting magic in the second and the Hellion working his in the third.
The Hellion painted his next. I added a coat of silver to one of mine and bronze to the other. Then I added details, the Hellion did not.
Here are some of the wands drying. Mine is the first one, then both of Z-rex’s and then one of the Hellion’s. They are awesome! I can’t wait to get to swing them around some. I promise Iwill post some pics of that as well.
Here they are after they finally dried!
The Hellions are the first two, Z-Rex’s next and then mine.